Connecting digital documents to your accounting transactions
With Banana, you can enter, for each transaction, links to digital documents stored on your computer.
- Arrange a folder where you will save all your digital documents. It can be the folder where you keep your accounting file or subfolder.
- Use this folder to save all files containing documents, invoices, receipts, etc.
- Link the transaction to the digital document.
- From the Account 2 menu choose the Link -> Open Link command to view the contents of the digital document.
The DocLink Column
The DocLink column (Transactions table) makes it possible to enter a link to an external file (usually a scan of a receipt or an invoice).
- The DocLink column is usually not visible.
In order to display it, use the Columns setup function.
- Once the Link column is visible, you can edit the file name.
- The file name is related to the accounting file; if the documents are in a sub-folder, the file name - in the DocLink column - will be preceded by the directory name.
- It is equally possible to manually enter a web address in the Link cell.
In order to open the linked document, click on the Open link command of the Account2 menu, or click on the small square that appears on the upper right hand corner of the cell that contains the link.
Entering a link to a file
There are two ways to enter a link to a document:
- Place yourself on the row of the Transactions table and the activate the Add link command from the Account2 menu -> Links;
- Select the file that corresponds to the document which needs to be linked and click on the Open button; the program inserts the link automatically.
The program enters the file name in the DocLink column, even if this last one would be invisible.
- Display the DocLink column in the Transactions table. See: Columns setup;
- Click on the small square at the upper right hand corner of the cell;
- Indicate the path where the file can be found and select it.
Editing a link
Proceed in the same way as when entering a new link.
Opening the link
There are two ways to open the link:
- Place yourself on the row of the Transactions table and the activate the Open link command from the Account2 menu -> Links;
- Place yourself on the DocLink cell and click on the icon to open the link.
For security reasons, the program opens only files with an extension that is considered secure, see Program Options -> Advanced, from the Tools menu.
Removing the link
There are two ways to remove the link:
- Place yourself on the row of the Transactions table and the activate the Remove link command from the Account2 menu -> Links;
- Delete the contents of the DocLink cell.