At the opening of the Accounting year, the amounts of the Total Assets should correspond to the Total Liabilities. Otherwise, the accounting balance will not square and it is necessary to verify the reasons and correct the error, so that there is no Difference in the opening balances message displayed in the information window .
There may be several causes that lead to a difference in the opening balances:
- When using the program for the first time, the liabilities were not entered with a minus sign in front of the amount.
- The result of the previous year was not automatically allocated when creating a new year.
- The balances for expenses and income have been carried over, when creating a new year, whilst they should not have been.
- When opening balances have been entered manually, the previous year's operating result has not been taken into account. In this case the difference corresponds to the carried forward profit or loss.
- When allocating the profit to multiple accounts is performed manually, thousands separators and decimals other than those provided in Banana Accounting were used for the amounts.
The solutions for each single error are explained in the error explanation page, at the https://www.banana.ch/doc/en/contamsg_en_tot_teid11des?portal=banana link.
In the example, the program reports a difference in opening balances of 1,000.-
After having checked and corrected the opening balances the Total Assets must correspond to the Total Liabilities.
It is also possible to check and square the balances in the Totals Table.