Recovering data importing from other programs
It can often happen to be regularly needing to import data from other programs.
- in order to import monthly transaction from your salaries software
- in order to import the invoices issued with a invoicing software
- in order to import the payments made with your invoicing software
- in order to import your sales transactions from your online shop
- in order to import data from another accounting software
- in order to import data from another cashbook management software (for example a restaurants or a hotel).
In these cases you can proceed in two different ways:
- make sure that your application exports the data in a txt file format specifically set to be imported in Banana.
For more information please consult the technical information on how to create a file to be imported in Banana;
- create an import script that will transform data exported from another program so that they can be imported in Banana; depending on the installed import filters (see the Manage filters page), many formats can be available. See also how to create filters (Banana App)
One time data importing from other programs
If you are starting to work with Banana for the first time and you need to import your data from another software, you can easily transfer data from any accounting program, passing through MS-Excel.
- With your old accounting software, export the data in a format that can be read by Excel (CSV, txt, ...)
- Open the exported file with Excel
- In Excel, organize the data (columns) in the same order as they appear in the Banana tables (Accounts, Transactions)
- Open your new accounting file in Banana
- In the Accounts or Transactions table, add as many empty rows as there are rows to transfer from Excel.
- In Excel, select the data to be copied and use the Copy command
- Go in Banana and execute the Paste command.
This method is useful to transfer data from MS-Money, Intuit Quicken and Quickbooks, and from most other accounting programs.
Developers, please also see our webpage Import data.