There are two ways to set up your accounting file for your invoicing
- Create a new accounting file, using an existing template.
- Adapt your existing accounting file.
New Accounting File
Several templates are available, containing a preset ledger of clients. Creating Invoicing is possible in the following accounting types:
- Double-entry accounting with or without vat.
- Multi-currency accounting with or without vat.
- Income & Expense accounting with or without vat.
A new accounting file is created as follows:
- File Menu → New.
- Select the Region and the language.
- Type Invoice in the Filter by field.
- Select a template in the right hand section.
- Save your file with a name.
Please follow the instructions contained in the Invoicing documentation.
In the accounting types with VAT, in order to correctly set up the file, we advise you to consult the explanations on the page Invoice printing and VAT.
Adapt your existing Accounting File
If you wish to adapt your existing accounting file for creating your invoices, you will have to add certain functions and settings in order to be able to print them:
Insert the data for your company
- In the File menu → File and accounting properties... → Address, you can setup your company's address and data, which will be used as the header of the invoice.
- To use your personal logo, check instructions here.
Set the list of customers in the Accounts table
In the Accounts table, you can setup your customers register
- Add and display customer address columns.
- In the Accounts table, you can select the Address view and enter your customer's data.
- If the Address view is not visible, you can add it using the Tools menu → Add new functionalities... command → Add Address columns in the Accounts table.
- Manage your customer settings via the Reports menu → Customers → Settings.
Add the columns you wish to use in the Transactions table
Display the columns for Invoicing in the Transactions table:
- Data menu → Columns setup and check the DocType and DocInvoice boxes.
- Add the columns for Quantity and Unit Price (optional).
Tools Menu → Add new functionalities → Add Items Columns in Transactions table.
- Add Items table (optional).
This will assist you keep track of your Items and micro-manage your inventory.
Tools Menu → Add new functionalities → Add Items table.
Invoicing managed in a file dedicated to Invoicing only,
If you wish to manage your invoicing separately from your main accounting, you will have to create a new file. You will insert the accounts for the clients you need for the Invoicing only, in your Plan of Accounts. Invoices are entered via the Transactions table.
This approach is suitable for when:
- Accounting on a cash-in basis. Only the the payed amount is entered in the accounting file.
- Wishing to keep the management of your invoices completely separate from your main accounting ledger, for example for an Association that needs to send membership fees to their members.
How to create a separate accounting file for invoices:
- Download the template, open it and adjust it to your requirements.
Alternatively, you may start out with any template and adapt it - as previously indicated - for use with invoicing.
- Make sure al setups and and columns are present, as explained above.