This command converts an existing file (which will not be modified) into another one with different characteristics:
- Change language
- Change the roundings
- Change the file type. For example:
- Pass from an accounting without VAT to one with VAT
- Pass from a Double-entry accounting to a Multi-currency accounting
It is as if you have created a new blank file and then have manually transferred the data.
The existing file characteristics can be consulted by executing the command Tools -> File Info
Creation and data transfer
The Convert to new file command, from the Tools menu:
- Creates a new file of the specified type with the predefined columns setup
- Transfers the data into the new file, proceding with the necessary conversions
- Saves and indicates the name of the new file.
When converting a file with more options into one with fewer options, part of the data will be lost during conversion. If, for example, an accounting file with VAT/Sales tax is converted into an accounting file without VAT/Sales tax, all data in the VAT columns will be lost during conversion.
Passing from a Double-entry accounting to a Multi-currency accounting file
- Make sure that in the File and accounting properties the currency symbol is being specified (which will become the basic currency)
- Choose the Multi-currency accounting as destination
- The program creates a Multi-currency accounting, recovering the existing data:
- The Transactions table includes the columns for managing the Multi-currency accounting, as a currency the basic currency and the exchange rate 1.000
- The existing accounts in the Accounts table are being completed with the basic currency symbol
- The Exchange rate table will be empty; it is therefore necessary to add the currencies and exchange rates used in the transactions
- In the Accounts table, the accounts in foreign currency have to be added.
In order to change the currency of an accounting file, see the Accounting tab of the File and accounting properties.
Passing from an accounting without VAT to one with VAT
- Choose the desired type of accounting with VAT as the destination
- The program creates an accounting with the VAT columns, recovering the existing data:
- Add the VAT accounts into the Chart of accounts
- The File properties regarding the VAT need to be completed, and the default acccount on which the VAT must be recorded needs to be indicated
- The VAT Codes table has to be completed with the necessary VAT Codes
With the Import to accounting command -> VAT codes, the VAT codes table of an existing accounting can be imported (for example it can be imported from a default VAT acccounting template).
- The file type, in which the user is working, is being indicated
- For more information on the language, roundings and decimals, go to the File and accounting properties (from the File menu)
- A list with different options appears
Outline to create new file
For more information, please consult the specific page.