In order to create an account, go to the Accounts table and enter a number or a code in the Account column.
This same number is then used in the Transactions table as Debit or Credit account.
- The account number can be composed by numbers, letter and separations characters.
- It is not possible to have more than one account with the same number.
- Each account must have a BClass and must belong to a group.
Each account must belong to one of the following BClasses:
- 1 for Assets
- 2 for Liabilities
- 3 for Expenses
- 4 for Income
The BClasse number must be as indicated, regardless the account or group code. It is also possible to create Off Balance Sheet accounts (for example for warranty down payments, e conditional committments), that must have the following BClass:
- 5 for Off Balance Sheet: Assets
- 6 for Off Balance Sheet: Liabilities
The opening balance of each account is entered in the Opening + currency symbol column.
- The Assets balances are shown normally
- The Liabilities balances are entered with the minus sign (negative)
- Usually only the Assets and Liabilities opening balances are entered.
In order to automatically transfer the opening balances for the following year, please visit the Create New Year lesson.
Opening balances differences
In a correct accounting file, the total of the Assets opening balance should be equal to the total of the Liabilities opening balance, so no differences are shown.
If the totals do not match, the program will show a warning message telling you that there is a opening balances difference (Information window).
If you have changed some account numbers and you think the error message is not correct, please Recheck the accounting.
When using Banana Accounting for the first time, the opening balances must be entered manually.
Accounts with addresses
It is possible to add a few columns in the chart of accounts, to include the addresses management:
Tools menu -> Add new functionalities command
This command will add in the Chart of accounts the following things:
- several columns (name, last name, company, town, ...) where you can enter the client / supplier / member address and data
- the Address view where you can see the added columns (in order to change the view or the views organization please consult the Tables setup page)
When in the accounting plan you need to manage a clients/supplier register, meaning a specific account list for all clients, you need to have complete data with address, phone number, email, VAT number, etc. in this case adding the columns of the Address view is very useful.