Important information when updating to Banana Accounting 9
for those who have an accounting file created with a previous version (22.214.171.124.and 8) and want to update to version 9.
In order to see what's new, visit the page What's new in version 9.
File management and -exchange
Once Banana Accounting 9 has been installed (on Windows or Mac), you can launch the program and open the accounting files that have been created with Banana Accounting:
- Banana 9 opens the files of all previous versions: 2.02, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8.
- Files saved with Banana 9 can be opened and edited with the versions 5, 6, 7 and 8 of Banana Accounting.
- If you are using features only available in Banana 9, these do not work with earlier versions.
- Files saved with Banana 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 cannot be opened anymore with Banana 2, 3 or 4.
- Files can be transfered easily from one operating system to another.
If the files are not listed in the recent files (Initial page), you can look for them following these instructions.
Free Version version / License key
If the program is installed without license key, Banana Accounting 9 operates in the Free Version mode. This allows the user to use the Cash book and the Timesheet in a full and unlimited way and to use all other application exploiting all features up to 70 transactions.
- In order to use version 9 in the complete mode, you need to purchase the update license key and enter it in the software (update) that you can download from our download page.
- An Update Version is the normal version sold at a preferential price. It can therefore as be installed on a computer that doesn't have a previous Banana version installed.
- The license keys are valid for Windows, Mac and Linux, for installing Banana Accounting 9 on a maximum of 2 computers (belonging to the same owner).
- In the Free Version mode, the Cash book (without VAT) and the Time sheet are full and unlimited.
Version for Mac
In order to avoid conflicts with the keys used by the Apple operating system, the function keys F4, F5, F6 of Windows have become CMd+4, Cmd+5, Cmd+6 under Mac.
Importing bank statements
Banana 9 provides various import filters that can be downloaded from our website.
To import the bank statements / update the filters, you need to:
- select the Import to accounting command from the Account1 menu -> Import transactions
- click on the Manage filters button to see all the available filters
- click on the Update filters button
- enable the desired filters by selecting them and clicking on the Enable filters button
Importing Postfinance Xml file
Banana 9 imports bank statements using the new XML ISO 20022 standard. Postfinance supplies this format only when requested by the customer.
It is therefore necessary to ask your Postfinance consultant to change the format and switch to the ISO 20022.
Postfinance Business clients can ask to have the Pfd as well as the ISO 20022 format.
Swiss VAT Report
In order to obtain the quarterly Swiss VAT report, ready for the official form, proceed as follows:
- Apps Menu -> Manage Apps -> select Swiss VAT Report (effective method or flat rate method) -> press Install
- Once you have installed the Swiss VAT report App, when needed you just need to go to the Apps Menu and select it.
- In Banana Accounting 9, the VAT report will also be available for those who are submitted to the flat rate method.
Enhanced Balance Sheet with Groups
In the Enhanced Balance sheet with Groups (from the Account1 menu), in the Previous Year column, the balances that have been carried forward from the previous year's file are being displayed. If, in the Options tab of the File and Accounting Properties dialog window, no previous year's file has been indicated, then the balances will be carried forward from the Prior column of the Accounts table.
Changes from Banana 6 or previous versions
From Banana 6 to Banana 9 some functions changed their names:
- Data can be edited directly in the table cell (just like in Excel)
- With a double-click you go in the cell editing mode.
In order to open an account card or to access the Extract rows command, instead of the double-click you can use:
- Alt + mouse click
- Right mouse click (opens the menu)
- A mouse click on the little blue arrow next to the account number (cell top left corner)
- The Messages window has been moved in the lower corner of the screen, next to the Info window.
The Messages window can be reached by clicking on the correspondent table.
- The Views list has been moved to the top of the screen, just below the tables list.
- When scrolling the vertical bar, the table content now immediately scrolls too.
- In the transactions, the indication of the date and the document are not shown any more.
- From the Banana 7 version it is possible to update the account card (see refresh button on the top right corner); in Banana Accounting 6 it was necessary to give the command again.
- When printing or when viewing the print preview, it is now possible to only print a selection of rows.
In the print dialog window, it is possible to choose if you want to print everything or just a selection (only in Banana for Windows).
- In the Date column, by entering the “.” symbol, the program automatically enters the date of the day.
- Simple Accounting -> has been changed into -> Income & Expense accounting
- The Cash1, Simple1, Cash2 and Simple2 menus have been replaced by the Account1 and Account2 menus
- Accounts by period -> has been changed into -> Accounting Report
- Export file in pdf -> has been changed into -> Create Pdf dossier
- In some functions, such as the Enhanced Balance sheet, ... a new submenu called "Compositions" has been created in order to recall saved personal settings (in Banana 6 they were called Favorites).
- In the Help menu "Keyboard Shortcuts", you find the list of key-combinations and the commands that are associated with them.
- In the Info and Messages windows, next to the error message, there is now the symbol: if you click on it, you will be directly connected to the online page explaining the error message and suggesting possible causes and solutions.
- DDE connections are no longer supported