The planning system based on the double-entry method allows you to prepare forecasts for one or more years.
Forecast for the current year
Movements with or without repetition are inserted in the Budget table.
The calculation of the forecast is generally carried out by taking into account the movements that fall within the current period, as defined in the File and Accounting properties.
- The total amount for the current period is indicated in the Total column of the Budget table.
- The estimate balance for the current period is indicated in the Estimate column of the Accounts and Categories table.
- If you indicate All as the period, you will have forecasts for the current period In the various printouts.
If the file is equally used to keep the accounts, the accounting period must obviously be the one set up in the accounting file. Even when the file is used only for forecasts, it is recommended to set the accounting period referring to only one year. In fact, if a period of two years is inserted in the basic data, the values of the forecasts, in the Total and Accounts column, will be for the two years. This can lead to contradictory values.
Forecasts over several years
If you insert the forecast movements with the repetition code, the program is able to prepare forecasts that extend beyond the defined period.
To obtain forecasts over several years, the movements are entered in the Budget table.
- Opening balances
- They are inserted in the Accounts table.
- Forecast movements prior to the accounting period.
- For special cases it is also possible to insert transactions with dates prior to the accounting period.
- Attention must be paid, because these operations will change the balances at the time of opening.
- For these operations, the Total column will be empty because it is outside the accounting period.
- Forecast movements for the accounting period.
- Movements are indicated with the date falling within the accounting period.
- If there are operations that will repeat also in the following years, the annual repetition code must be set to "Y".
- If the repetition of the operation occurs during several years, indicate the number of years before the Y, i.e. for every 2 years indicate "2Y", 5 years "5Y", 10 years "10Y".
- If the repetition do not extend beyond a certain date (for example the payment of a lease) the end date must be indicated.
- Forecast movements for the following years.
- The future date on which the transaction is expected is indicated.
- The repeat code and the end date can be indicated.
- For these transactions, the Total column will be empty because they are outside the accounting period.
Use of formulas
The formulas allow you to automate amortization and interest calculations. When an investment increases, the income statement is also immediately updated. Formulas are especially useful when making forecasts over multiple years.
Print with the forecast period
Thanks to the fact that movements with the repetition code or with the dates of the following years have been inserted in the Estimate table, the program is able to calculate forecasts for future years.
When the report is printed, indicate the start and end date in the Period section.
Considering that the start date is January 1, 2022:
- If you want a 2-year forecast, indicate the end date as 31 December 2024.
- If you want a 5-year forecast, indicate the end date as 31 December 2027.
- If you want a 20-year forecast, indicate the end date as 31 December 2042.
The possibility of getting a forecast is available for the following prints:
All accounting reports can contain accounting values, forecast values, or both together. The parameter possibilities are the same for accounting reports and forecasts.
Thanks to these reports they may generate a Provisional Balance Sheet, Provisional Income statement, Liquidity planning, Investment planning, Financing planning and more, for future interest periods .
Columns divided by period
In the Subdivision section you can use the program to create columns for the period.
You can thus see the evolution by month, quarter or year.
With Composition you can set print formats and call them up again later. If you run forecasts over several years, it is still useful to have pre-set compositions, overall, per year, 5 years or with the comparisons between the final balance and the estimate, which you can quickly call up.
Budget - Three-year forecast
Income statement - Three-year forecast