The steps below walk you through all the setup of the environment required to run the Banana Office Add-ins for Microsoft Office 2016.
Minimum requirements: Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Activate Banana Accounting web server
Install the Manifest file
Each Office Add-in has its own manifest file. The manifest is an XML file that defines various settings, including description and links to all the add-in files.
Manifest file must be copied to a specific directory.
Manifest directory for Windows
On Windows you need to create a directory to save the manifest of the add-in.
The directory needs to be a shared directory.
- Create a folder for the add-ins manifests on a network share:
- Create a folder on your local drive (for example, C:\Manifests).
- Right click on the folder, select properties.
- Click on Sharing tab.
- Click on Advanced Sharing...
- Check the Share this folder box.
- Click Apply and then Ok.
- Tell Excel or Word to use the directory as trusted app catalog.
- Launch Excel and open a blank spreadsheet.
- Choose the File tab, and then choose Options.
- Choose Trust Center, and then choose the Trust Center Settings button.
- Choose Trusted Add-in Catalogs.
- In the Catalog URL box, enter the path to the network share you created, and then choose Add Catalog.
To see the path: right click on the shared folder -> Properties -> Sharing -> Network Path.
- Select the Show in Menu check box, and then choose OK. A message appears to inform you that your settings will be applied the next time you start Office.
- Close Excel and restart it.
Manifest directory for macOS
On Mac you need to create a folder to save the manifest of the add-in.
Go to one of the following folders where you'll save your add-in's manifest file. If the
wef folder doesn't exist on your computer, create it.
- For Excel:
- For Word:
- For PowerPoint:
where <username> is your name on the device.
You can now download the manifest of the add-in you want to use.
Load the Add-ins in Excel
Once all the setup and installations are done, it is possible to run and use the add-in.
For more and detailed information about the developing of the Office Add-ins, please visit https://github.com/BananaAccounting/General/tree/master/OfficeAddIns.
Introduction to Excel 2016 Add-ins
Office 2016 Add-ins are extentions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Add-ins are composed of:
- Manifest file
An XML file that defines various settings, including description and links to all the add-in files.
It is used by Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook to locate the Add-in resources.
The manifest file can reside on a local directory or is published on the Office Store.
- Webpage files
All the files need to reside on a web server.
These examples have been made available for programmers that want to create specialized add-ins to retrieve information from Banana Accounting.
You need to insall the add-ins on a web server.
- for Excel:
- for Word:
- Account Card report to create a Word document with details of an account.